4th XI 11/03/17 v Lichfield

Stafford 3 – 0 Lichfield

Todays match saw Stafford Ladies 4th team take on Lichfield for the battle to sit top of the division.

The match started well with Stafford taking control of the play, holding the possession and challenging the Lichfield defence. Lichfield made attempts to fight back with almost every attempt being thwarted by the strong midfield and defensive presence. Throughout the first 15 minutes of the match strong attacks were made on the goal, however all were drifting wide until a strong pass from Kate Bartels in defence found Jess Twigg out on the right wing where she ran the ball into the circle around two of the Lichfield defence and struck the ball with force to take Stafford 1-0 up.

The second goal for Stafford was not long awaited as another sharp ball out of defence by Helena Wood to Poll Brazier in Midfield found Lichfield struggling to get back. Brazier made a sharp cross into the circle where Michelle Wolfe was ready to sweep the ball into the goal for a 2-0 lead taking the game to half time.

The second half saw Stafford come out strong with an expectation that Lichfield would change things up and come back fighting, this was not the case. Stafford stayed strong playing to their strengths whilst moving the ball around the pitch with ease using the time and space available to their advantage.

A penalty corner was given to Stafford for a Lichfield foot in the circle, Stafford made a quick injection to the top of the circle were Donna Thurgarland struck the ball heavily to the left hand post. The Lichfield keeper managed to get down to the corner making the save however Bev Leng was ready to draw the ball back to the top of the circle finding Michelle Wolfe again who slipped the ball past the Lichfield defence to take the score to 3-0 and her second for the game.

Lichfield made a late attempt on the Stafford goal winning a penalty corner that was cleared directly from the circle by Wood to the Midfield as the final whistle blew. This Victory sees the 4ths move to top of the division with Lichfield moving into second.